Friday, July 14, 2000

July 14, 2000

Archived update from Cigarettes & Coffee, run by Greg Mariotti & CJ Wallis from 1999-2005

There's a New Line flyer in the recent release of the Boiler Room DVD which includes info on the upcoming Boogie Nights DVD. The features listed include "The Dirk Diggler Story - a short film by P.T. Anderson." Before you get too excited, I suspect these were early specifications. If you recall, PTA toyed with the idea of including this, but ultimately changed his mind. I would be shocked if things have changed in the last few weeks. These flyers were probably printed some time ago (Note: they are missing the Exhausted documentary, The John C. Reilly Files, etc.).
I'm very pleased to present an incredible interview from Millimeter Magazine. This very detailed piece discusses the painstaking special effects work for the frog storm & includes numerous quotes from ILM's Joe Letteri, Magnolia's visual effects supervisor. There's been much written about the frog sequence, but little on it's creation from script to screen. It's well worth your time & a great look inside the making of this truly unforgettable sequence.
Finally, I'm going to end today's lengthy update with various PTA related quotes (some old, some new). You'll notice Gwyneth Paltrow isn't afraid to speak her mind. I'll see you next Wednesday!
"Frogs are a walk in the park compared to these waves. Frogs are a little less [harmful] than 2,000 gallons of water hitting you in the face."
- John C. Reilly on comparing what he's had to face on screen
(Entertainment Weekly - 7/21)
"The Wave is incredible - there's no bigger way to end a movie, although my penis in Boogie Nights was a bigger personal moment."
- Mark Wahlberg on the oversize climax in The Perfect Storm
(Entertainment Weekly - 7/21)
''I think 'Magnolia' is one of the best films I've ever seen. And if anyone disagrees with me, I'll fight them to the death.''
- Phillip Seymour Hoffman (Entertainment Weekly - 3/24)
“I thought it was brilliant. I thought parts of it were absolute genius, but I think it is too long and I thought it got repetitive. It makes you want to kick Paul’s ass. Paul needs someone to say ‘Cut it out, you’re going crazy,’ because he is a genius and he is the most incredible filmmaker of our generation. I think he will continue to make great films, but you don’t want to lose sight of what you are trying to say and some of it could have been trimmed down. His technical skills are just incredible, but it’s too long.” 
- Gwyneth Paltrow on her reaction to Magnolia
(Reel West Magazine)
“It was easy to get this money and it was easy to make this movie. But I think that it’s a one time thing after the success of Boogie Nights. I’m in a great position to have final cut over my movies and control over their elements, but I know that I have to use it productively and hopefully make some money.”
- Paul Thomas Anderson on his future after Magnolia
(Reel West Magazine)
''I have a tuxedo and I went once before and I didn't win, and I want to win. I want an Oscar.'' 
- Paul Thomas Anderson (Entertainment Weekly - 3/24)
"I wanted to be supportive of PTA. He’s a filmmaker I really enjoy. He’s just unique. He’s an old soul kid. He’s a good guy."
- Tom Cruise (On Rosie O’Donnell's show)

No comments:

Post a Comment