Thursday, May 30, 2002

Interview: "Looking For Laughs"

Dallas Morning News, Written By Charles Ealy
May 30th, 2002


Director Paul Thomas Anderson, known for the dark and moody dramas Boogie Nights and Magnolia, was all smiles at a media conference for his new romantic comedy, Punch-Drunk Love.
The Europeans peppered him with questions, primarily wanting him to explain the American phrase "punch-drunk."

Mr. Anderson acknowledged that the title was hard to translate but said that the movie's main character, played by Adam Sandler, "feels stuff that he can't express, so he throws punches" at walls and bathroom stalls. And when you fall in love, it's even more complicated, and you literally become punch-drunk. "At least that's how I feel when I'm in love," Mr. Anderson said.




He also fended off questions about why he chose Mr. Sandler as a star. Henri Behar of French Vogue noted that the former Saturday Night Live comic isn't known for being the type of actor to appear at Cannes, "the temple of art." Mr. Anderson just smiled, looked at the hang-dog-looking comic and said: "He looks funny. He makes me laugh. ... His ears look funny. I haven't seen him naked, but that might be funny, too."

Mr. Sandler replied rather too quickly: "Just to be honest with you, naked is not so bad."

Co-star Emily Watson, whose previous roles include Breaking the Waves and Hilary and Jackie, said she was just happy to be cast in a romantic comedy "where I don't have to die or cry."

A French critic, apparently hoping to launch into an extended debate, then asked Mr. Anderson about his theme of "incommunicability."

The director just smiled, shook his head, and said he didn't understand the question.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting read. I've suffered with herpes ever since I was a child but it's only been the last few years that I discovered that  I have genital herpes. So I started looking for a way to cure this deadly virus. I visited so many hospitals in search of a solution but it never worked out.so I started searching for a cure to my herpes virus.
    Few month ago I came across a site where a lady was sharing a testimony about Dr OHIKHOBO about how he cured herpes and all kinds of diseases with is natural herbs so I decided to give it a try so I email the Dr he told me how I was going to get the herbs so I did as he instructed few days later I received the  herbs and I started taking the herbs as instructed by the Dr.
    I was shocked two weeks after when my doctor told me that I was free from herpes so I decided to let the world know how I was cured from herpes by Dr OHIKHOBO. you can reach him through his email: drohikhoboherbalcenter@gmail.com if you also want a cure for your herpes or any of the diseases listed below because the Dr says he also has a cure for them.CÁNCER
    HEART FAILURE
    DIABETES
    HPV
    HIV
    COLD SORES
    FIBROIDS
    GENITAL WARTS
    His Email; drohikhoboherbalcenter@gmail.com His whatsap number: +1-740-231-2427

    ReplyDelete