Saturday, September 04, 1999

September 4, 1999

Archived update from Cigarettes & Coffee, run by Greg Mariotti & CJ Wallis from 1999-2005

De Luca named Variety Showman of the Year!
Mike De Luca, President of Production for New Line Cinema was named Variety's Annual Showman of the Year. Previous honorees include Michael Eisner, Michael Crichton, Robert Wright, and Jim Carrey. 
Here are Paul's comments on New Line and Mike:
Paul Thomas Anderson, writer-director of Boogie Nights puts it bluntly, "I go where Mike goes. He lets me do what I want to do but, he can also guide me away from some self-inflicted wounds I might cause." Studios have suggestions, but "if you're an egotistical filmmaker like myself you don't want to listen."
As for what sets Michael De Luca apart: "I really haven't dealt with that many other studio execs. I've met a few of them and I wouldn't want them to have my home phone number. But Mike does.
"Everybody in Hollywood rushes to give their opinion and he doesn't do that. What he can do is not say a lot and keep his mouth shut and let you discover it. I would prefer to not make movies anywhere else and I think there's a lot of people who feel the same way."
Courtesy of Vanessa Torres - Variety Magazine August 23-29, 1999
Paul's Ad
Here's Paul's ad in Variety congratulating Mike De Luca

1 comment: