Friday, January 11, 2013

Mark Duplass ♥'s ‘The Master,' Shouts Out Annapurna Pictures


Esquire had a chat with actor/filmmaker Mark Duplass (from FX's "The League" and the very underrated "Safety Not Guaranteed") who spoke about his favorite film of 2012, "The Master." Duplass had some very kind words for the film and financiers Annapurna Pictures (who also produced "Zero Dark Thirty" where the actor appears briefly).
"I'm a big fan of Joaquin Phoenix, and I feel like he unfortunately took a little bit of a beating after I'm Still Here. I love that movie. And I think maybe he went a little crazy, too. I've been waiting for his return, and I just loved his physicality, the gnarled shoulders. He has that really brute sensitivity to him that I just really appreciated."
"I went in headlong for The Master this year. As a filmmaker, I'm getting more and more picky about what I like, which is probably why I watch more documentaries than anything else. But there's something about movies like The Master. I knew that movie wasn't going to 100-percent add up. I expected this really inspired, almost tone poem of a movie with fantastic performances, and that's exactly what I got out of it. The plotting was subordinated to the tone and the performances, which in general, I think, makes for a bad movie, but for some reason, in this case, I was like, Oh, this really works. It's a true mood piece, and I just love it.
"It's the antithesis of how I make movies, which is great. All I'm doing is trying to get an ugly-looking close-up. As long as that person is emoting and giving me something funny and sad at the same time, I'm happy. Literally paying zero attention to the picturesque beauty of the scene.
"I am obsessed with Megan Ellison. She runs this company, Annapurna Pictures, and what she is doing for movies right now... She's making true upscale adult dramas, which nobody's doing anymore: Killing Them Softly and Silver Linings Playbook and Zero Dark Thirty and The Master. I'm very, very thankful for Annapurna Pictures this year. The Master is going to lose money, and she doesn't give a shit. She's going to make more movies like that. And that sort of punk-rock spirit with the power that she has is exactly what we need in cinema right now."
Amen. We will remind you now that Annapurna will also be financing "Inherent Vice" as well as 2013 films by Spike Jonze, Bennett Miller, David O. Russell and Harmony Korine and are pretty much the bees knees all around. Duplass & Annapurna are both on Twitter, so follow them if you're so inclined.

We also posted two new interviews with PTA from the last few weeks that slipped through the cracks including brief chats with Deadline and Le Point (the film opened in France this week). Speaking of France, Richard Brody in the New Yorker has posted a fabulous essay about the film and how its more ambiguous aspects will probably play better for French cineastes than they did for American general audiences. Definitely worth a read.

Pre-order "The Master" on Blu-ray or DVD.
Stay tuned to Twitter and Facebook for the latest news and updates.

5 comments:

  1. Why's there an apostrophe after the heart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Powerful Herbal treatment is 100% guarantee for Genital Herpes cure, the reason why most people are finding it difficult to cure Genital Herpes and other herpes related cases, infections/disease , is because they believe on medical report, drugs and medical treatments which is not helpful to cure HSV and hasn't proved any sign of helping. Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily eradicate herpes forever. I never believed it until I was helped and cured of my 19 months genital herpes with natural herbal medicines from Dr Idedia. Where other medical prescribed drugs and treatments failed, Natural herbs helped saved me from Genital herpes permanently and i am so grateful for this. You can also get help from this great and powerful herbs can also contact Dr Idedia  through via this email: dr.idediatraditionalhealinghome@gmail.com , Text or call him via : +2349126592869

      Delete
  2. *All I'm doing is trying to get an ugly-looking close-up. As long as that person is emoting and giving me something funny and sad at the same time, I'm happy. Literally paying zero attention to the picturesque beauty of the scene.*

    Which is why I don't give a fuck about your movies, pal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my name is Bethuel Tjinae i am from south Africa  i have awonderful testimony to share to you all, how a great herbal doctor who help me and my friend to cure our HIV.back them we
    where into prostitution but we change. we did not no we
    where have HIV when i was about to get married to me and my
    husband visited a doctor for blood group the doctor discover
    that i was HIV positive i was so diverstated we try to look for
    a solution .One day i went out for a shopping i meet an old
    friend of my he introduced me to a very powerful herbal doctor  i
    did not believed him but he told me every thing we be fine i
    believed him .he told me to go within 7days every thing we be
    fine he told me to pay a little amount money to buy things
    that we be used .and immediacy 7 days i was HIV negative i
    am happy married and have a child. thanks to  DR OGHEDE  if you need is help email him peacehelpmedicalcentre@hotmail.com























    I am here again to say a big thanks to  DR OGHEDE  for making
    my aunt  a complete woman again, she was infected with herpes for 6
    years she have been seriously praying to God and searching for
    cure. she also came here last month to search for solution to my
    problem and she saw comment of people talking about
    different doctors and God directed me to choose DR OGHEDE 
    and she contacted Him, he sent she a medicine and directed
    me on how i will take the medicine for 7 days, i did so and
    went for a test and my result came out as Negative. i am so
    happy, i shared tears of happiness and i have taken it upon
    my self to always testify about how God used  DR OGHEDE   to
    solve my problem. I am a clean man now, without any virus
    if you are infected with any disease like HIV, AIDS, HPV,
    HERPES or any other disease you can also be happy like me
    by contacting  DR OGHEDE   through his Email: droghedeherbalcentre@gmail.com
    Phone/Whatsapp no: +2347054690368  immediately you life wenever remain the same, and he is very powerful thanks to he.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am here to give my testimony about Dr Ose who helped me in my life, i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by dr Ose spiritual, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how dr Ose spiritual cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, my HERPES result came out negative. I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that their is no cure for herpes that is Not true just contact him and get cure from dr Ose spirirtual healing spell cure of all kinds of sickness you may have. penis enlargement
    Remember delay in treatment leads to death email him @ {oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com} whatsapp +234813 648 2342
    https://www.facebook.com/Dr-odion-spell-temple-110513923938220/

    ReplyDelete